Oamaru Kindergarten Association
“Shaping Our Future by Celebrating Our Past”
Formed in 1948, the Oamaru Kindergarten Association traces its foundations to the dogged desire of a group of local people to prove that a kindergarten in the town was a necessity.
Registered as an incorporated society in 1950, the Oamaru Free Kindergarten Association, led by Mrs Edna McCulloch as President with Vice Presidents Mrs Hilda Gardiner and Mrs Margaret Meikle, was affiliated to the central organisation, the New Zealand Kindergarten Association and maintains strong inter-relationships with regional and national bodies.
In 1952, two kindergartens were established in Oamaru – one at South Hill (McCulloch) and a second (Arundel) at North End. Enrolments began and the first ever kindergarten sessions were held in Oamaru directed by foundation teacher Miss Letty Bradfield (later Letty Divers).
In 1954 Casa Nova Kindergarten opened (replacing the Methodist Hall at Arundel Street), followed by Holmes Kindergarten in 1970; the new Edna McCulloch Kindergarten on the original site in 1977; Glen Warren in 2013; and, Maheno in 2016.